Thursday, October 24, 2013

Still hangin' around

Our blog project group has once again changed by one member, but I'm still calling it Blog Project 3.0. The newest member is Darwin Shrugged, a friend of Froggie's. I recently got to know her better through "52 Stories" and I look forward to what she has to say on the upcoming topics.

This week, Froggie gave us a fun challenge: Find an outfit in your closet that you've had for a long time and write about it.

First, read what everyone else had to share on this topic:
Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock

June, 1998


Shortly before college let out for summer break, I had a Saturday afternoon free (a long time before I decided to become Shomer Shabbos) and decided to go dress shopping. I didn't really own any cute sundresses at the time and wanted something to wear to parties, as I knew a few friends were graduating that summer. I also planned to get a summer job and would need something to wear for that, as well.

I had the hardest time finding a dress that day! You'd think Eastland Mall in Normal, Illinois would carry dresses that catered to college-aged women. I must have gone into every single store that carried any type of casual dresswear and just kept coming up empty-handed. Then I ended up in JC Penney and finally found what I was looking for. It was a blueish-gray dress with blue and purple flowers on it. It was light and flowy and could be worn almost anywhere.


That summer, I wore it to my friend's graduation party, as shown in the picture above, as well as numerous other occasions. It was the summer of 1998 and I was almost 22 at the time. I still have this dress and have worn it on many occasions since then. I don't wear it as much nowadays, but I've been known to pair it with a blue denim-like shirt or a cream colored crocheted top in the summer. I don't wear it in the winter since it doesn't work well over long-sleeved shirts.

I will admit that I'm terrible at hanging up my clothes and usually end up folding them and piling them on the floor of my closet. So this one was buried under a bunch of shirts and skirts, thus explaining all the wrinkles. (See below.) Apparently, it's one of those outfits that doesn't respond to my favorite product.


No worse for the wear, but a little wrinkled.
October, 2013

2 comments:

Sara said...

It's a very pretty dress! Wrinkles, and all! :)

Tracey said...

Very nice dress! I still have a few of my sundresses I got in college. Sometime I consider wearing them, however once I put them on I realize they aren't me anymore.