This week Froggie chose the topic: Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
Darwin Shrugged
Froggie
Moma Rock
Last year, I found an article with ways to get out of one's comfort zone. I thought about using it as a blog project topic, but never got around to it, so I'm glad that Froggie did! In order to write this post, I've listed the 20 items from the post and will elaborate on each.
1. Put your personal work out in the world so that it’s potentially vulnerable for negative comments. A video on YouTube, a piece of writing online – anything that can be complimented or critiqued, which will either boost your confidence or thicken your skin.
I do this all the time with writing fiction on my blog. It's been going well so far, but still can be nerve-wracking to see how people will react to what I've written. I think I need to push my fiction comfort zone to the limit, but haven't figured out how yet. One of my friends suggested writing about a gay male lead character, but I don't know what angle I'd take with that story or if I'd even get into such a character's head correctly.
2. Do something over-the-top embarrassing to make a fool of yourself. Take part in a dance-off, test out cheesy pickup lines, make preposterous requests at restaurants.
This would definitely be a challenge for me. Aside from singing all the time around my house and in the car, I'm not sure how much more embarrassing I could get.
3. Set a colossal ambition that will require you to discipline yourself and accomplish smaller goals first. e.g. Running a marathon that will require weeks or months of training.
Does using myfitnesspal.com to keep track of my calorie intake and output count? I'm still working on those post-pregnancy pounds from THREE years ago. In the past, I've done this in my efforts to become more observant with Judaism. I took everything from keeping Kosher to family purity to becoming Shomer Shabbos in baby steps.
4. Allow a friend to make plans for you, giving them creative control of a night filled with unknown festivities. Comfort is all about knowing what to expect and having limited surprises, this will be a unique change of scenery.
I let my husband plan a whole adventure for us in downtown Chicago for our 10 year anniversary. I didn't know what he had in store and just went with the flow. We first went to a place where you can paint ceramics. We made a plate together. Then we went to Dave and Buster's to kill time before dinner and played billiards for a while. Dinner was very romantic and at a restaurant I was always hoping to try. Afterward, we went to Second City for an improv show and then up to the top of the Hancock building to complete the evening. It was a fun and memorable day!
![]() |
| Tired after a long and fun day |
5. Read a book from a section you’d normally never set foot in. If autobiographies are normally your thing, check out a Teen-Fiction novel or Humor piece. Whatever is outside of the norm.
I sometimes do this with my book club. I read books I might have never thought to pick up otherwise. The Night Circus is definitely an example, as I had no desire to read it until someone from the club suggested it. Then I couldn't put it down!
6. Perform some type of public speaking, such as a poetry or reading at an open mic night.
Every year, on my anniversary at work, I give a D'Var Torah. That is definitely a feat in itself. I did Forensics in high school, yet I get so nervous speaking in front of people now. And it's challenging to write a D'Var Torah! Luckily, my work-iversary falls around the time of the Joseph story!
7. Pick up a new hobby that you currently have very little ability to do. Musical instruments, cooking, painting, writing, dancing, etc.
A few years ago, I tried knitting. I gave it up after a while as I had just lost patience with it. I haven't thought to pick up a new hobby in the last few years, as blogging has become a huge part of my life. I normally write, so I don't think creative writing counts as a new hobby, per se.
8. Go on an adventure and explore a surrounding city or an area you’re unfamiliar with, using no GPS or assistance from your phone. Enjoy being lost and getting around only by investigating for yourself, and asking others for directions.
For some reason, this would terrify me! I get so freaked out when I feel lost and have no idea where I'm going! An adventure for me is driving into DC instead of taking the Metro. I'm not much of a city driver these days, so going by car to see Wally Lamb last year was huge for me.
9. It’s not always easy to express our feelings to the people we love the most. Make time for the people you consider yourself closest to, and vocalize your care for them, despite how much easier it can be to think “I love you” than to say it.
This is definitely something that is outside of my comfort zone and what instantly came to mind when Froggie suggested the topic. I am not as good with being verbally affectionate. I am natural at it with my husband, kids, sister and BFF. However, it still feels vulnerable for me to express it to anyone else, even if they express it first and are being genuine. I usually say "you too" or "right back at ya," even though I could be more verbally affectionate and it would be welcomed by the individuals who initiated it. One such person is the new friend I posted about a couple of weeks ago. I love that she isn't afraid to be verbally affectionate and I try to emulate that when I can, but I think it's just who we are in general. I think I can express in other ways when I like or care about someone and hope it will have the same effect!
10. Go to a restaurant you’ve never actually been to and order something unique off of the menu. No cheeseburgers or salads, nothing you’ve had several times – and preferably something you struggle to pronounce.
The writer of this post clearly has not met me! I am such a picky eater and yet I've managed to add a lot of foods into my diet, even while eliminating others (mostly for Kosher reasons). I'm not sure if and/or when I'll ever try this out. Given I've stepped out of my comfort zone in other ways already, please cut me some slack about this and #8.
11. If you’ve grown comfortable doing things solo, start doing those activities with a friend. If you only do things with friends, try going it alone. Trust me, seeing a movie by yourself is surprisingly pleasant.
I like going to movies alone. I did it a bunch of times in the past. The last movie I went to alone was in 2008 to see Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2. I was so giddy about it! I've also gone to events by myself and been totally fine. I enjoy going to things with friends, but I also make new friends at events I go to by myself. So it's a win-win situation.
12. Make a new friend. No – that doesn’t mean add a random person on Facebook! At work, in class or when you’re out, start a conversation IN PERSON, and make friends with someone.
It's definitely easier for me to connect with people online, but I try to do it in person from time to time. I mostly get that opportunity at Shul, when I'll ask someone if they're new or visiting and try to get to know them better. Even when I was at Book Expo America, I'd try to strike up random conversations with people. Sometimes, I just click with people in person right away, and sometimes it's a "nice meeting you" thing, but that's it.
13. Take an improv class to get comfortable with unscripted interaction which, most of life consists of.
Been there. Done that. Wrote a blog post about it! Going to Second City made me miss how much fun it was, but now I'd worry that I'd have to start from scratch.
14. Switch up your daily routine drastically. If you’re a night owl, try hitting the hay early and waking up at sunrise. If you’re an early bird, explore the wee hours of the night for a change.
I do both already.
15. Limit your television watching. Replace that newfound time being active and living your life, as opposed to watching others.
I suppose not having cable helps. However, my TV time is replaced by Internet and reading time instead.
16. Take a financial risk that could result in a great reward.
Maybe I'll buy a few lottery tickets... I don't really gamble otherwise, whether it's at a casino or with something in life. It seems too scary to put a lot of money at risk like that.
17. Choose one of your fears and confront it head-on. Don’t like heights? Try skydiving, hiking a mountain or going on a rooftop – whatever you can do, as long as the idea of it makes you uneasy.
Does riding roller coasters in the past count? I really don't know that I can bring myself to confront any other such fears. Especially if I feel like my life would be at risk in some way.
18. If at all possible, spend time around people more successful than you. Being surrounded by individuals who’ve accomplished more than you can be beneficial if used as inspiration and motivation.
Does living in Englewood, New Jersey, for two years count? Seriously though, I feel like a lot of people I currently work with are immensely successful in what they do for the organization. So yes, they inspire me!
19. Enter a competition in which the odds are stacked against you. Failure isn’t always a bad thing, especially if it’s utilized properly. By losing and feeling a letdown, you should become thirsty to try again or at least feel the glory of winning and success.
Maybe I will audition for Jeopardy then? I've auditioned for plays in the past and never got cast. Does that say anything? Not sure what other competitions to enter at this stage of the game. I've entered two writing contests for Ladies' Home Journal and lost both. However, I loved the experience each time. Those were both personal essays, but I'm thinking of entering a fiction contest, if I can get something together in the next month or so.
20. Say “yes” to every single opportunity that presents itself, big or small. From an invite to an event you typically wouldn’t attend, to a job promotion in a different city. Some things are life changers, and they should be embraced with open arms instead of shot down without consideration.
I think that's already been covered too. Then again, I don't see myself uprooting my life in such a way, especially considering that I've done it twice in the span of two-and-a-half years!
Another way I've broken out of my comfort zone is by making fundraising calls for work. I'm not a phone person and especially don't like to ask for money. However, I know it's for an important cause and I actually get excited when someone says right away that they'll make a contribution.
Finally, I don't like to have pictures or videos taken of me all that much. Especially the latter. I hate how I sound on video. However, I have let people take photos of me recently and I've even done some selfies. The last time I had pictures taken of me, I was not wearing any makeup either. Au naturale! I also took a selfie that day!
I enjoyed working with this list. I'd love to hear if it has inspired you in any way or if there are things that you have done outside of your comfort zone.


3 comments:
I love your thoughtful pieces, Melissa! They always bring JOY to my day! Much love! xoxo
I think you do a lot to get outside of your comfort zone! I wish I would have known you from your Rocky days; I bet you were awesome to watch on stage! :)
Great advice. I'm still not sure if I would be brave enough to step out of my comfort zone.
Post a Comment