Friday, October 16, 2015

You asked, I answer....

Some bloggers participated in the Sunshine Award, so I have decided to answer their questions, as well. If there are some missing, it means I already answered them in my own Sunshine Award post. (If you were nominated by me and have not yet participated, it's never too late and I'll gladly answer your questions in a future post if you let me know they're up and ready.)

He Said Books or Me

What is the name of a book that has changed your life?
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. It just motivated me a lot when I was in college.

What is something about you that makes you unique?
I gave birth to each of my kids in different states.

If you could only eat one food the rest of your life what would it be?
Ice cream! (I'm sure you thought I'd say chocolate, but some ice cream has chocolate pieces in it, so there!)

Do you have a nickname and if so, what is it?
Some people can call me Mel. I used to be called Magenta, but not anymore.

What is your favorite month and why?
October, since it's really the start of autumn. And I love pumpkin flavored things. (I don't do the pumpkin spice lattes, as I don't like coffee.)




Do you remember your dreams?
Yeah. Sometimes I wish I didn't.

What is something everyone likes that you don't like at all?
See my blog post about this.

What is the one (or few) beauty items you cannot live without?
Hair gel. Without it, my hair is insane. I also need conditioner every day. I like having a cover up stick available when I have those annoying little break-outs.

What advice do you have for new bloggers?
Blogging is not a competition. Have fun and make the blog something you're passionate about.

If you had next Monday off, what would you do with it?
By "off," do you mean I have the day completely to myself? If so, I'd go to my favorite thrift store. And then spend a lot of time reading. Also, I'd finally get a haircut!

Hello...Chick Lit

Most embarrassing moment of the year?
Nothing super embarrassing has happened so far, but the year is not over yet. I somewhat want to count when my daughter was talking about private parts really loud in a store. It was funny more than anything else.

What would be your dream job?
Professional reader. :)

What’s the last item you bought as a house decoration?
I don't really buy house decorations all that much. I got some Sukkah decorations recently, like fall-themed stickers and stuff.

Do you collect something? What and what got you started?
Yes. Books. Loving to read ever since I was a kid. :)

How many books do you own?
Too many to count!

Just a tiny percentage of my collection



What is your favorite holiday and why?
I like a mix of Jewish and secular holidays. For Jewish, I enjoy Purim and Sukkot, as well as Hanukkah. I wrote about them at my book blog. For secular, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Valentine's Day. (Some are more about candy than anything else though.)

What website do you find yourself on more than any other?
Facebook

What concerts have you been to?
Barenaked Ladies (twice, once with Alanis Morissette performing too), Wham, Michael Jackson (Thriller tour), Whitney Houston, New Kids on the Block, Dixie Chicks, Huey Lewis, Harry Connick, Jr.

How did you meet your ‘oldest’ friend and what keeps you friends?
Our moms met in lamaze class. Having our families stay friends. We don't really see each other as often, but when we do, it's always a nice time.

Which social media platform do you use most and why?
Facebook. It's the easiest way for me to stay connected with people. I also do most of the social media stuff for my blogs over there. It's not as complex as Twitter either.

The Book Chick

What is the last book that made you cry?
What is the last book that you've read that you just can't stop recommending?
Come Away with Me by Karma Brown is the answer to both questions.

What is your favourite children's movie?
Annie! (The original version.) I also love most Disney movies. Lately, it's been Wreck-It Ralph.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?
See my basket of trips post from earlier this year.

If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
Teleportation.

Choose from the following- what would you rather have: a maid, a personal chef, a personal trainer or a nanny?
Maid! I have a personal chef already. ;)

What is your favourite ice cream flavour?
Chocolate chip cookie dough.

Still the best version of this flavor!


Where is your favourite place to read?
Anywhere, as long as I have a good book. Really though, the couch in my living room is perfect!

What is your favourite Smartphone app?
Facebook messenger. I also enjoy Shazam for when I don't know what song is playing.

You've won the lottery- what's the first thing that you buy?
A new car!!!

You can have any pet you want- what do you choose?
Probably another beagle.

I cannot resist this face!


One Book at a Time

What was your last BIG MONEY purchase?
My family's trip to Disney World in 2013.

What was the best book you read so far this year?
The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street by Susan Jane Gilman. It was epic!

What is your favorite season and why?
Autumn. I love that the weather feels just right and the leaves changing color look so beautiful.




If you could be Best Friends with your favorite book character, who would you choose?
Becky Bloomwood from the "Shopaholic" series by Sophie Kinsella.

Do you love to cook, and if so what is your favorite recipe?
I enjoy baking more than cooking. There is a difference, as far as I'm concerned. I love making S'mores Pie as it is delicious. And I also love how my challah turns out. I just need to get around to baking more soon!

Have you ever thought about writing your own book?
Yes, but I can't get myself motivated to write it and the publishing process scares me a bit!

Do you read while you're at work and has your boss ever commented about it?
I read on my lunch break and I don't think my boss really notices one way or the other. Other people at work know how much I love to read and will recommend books or ask me for recommendations.

What is your favorite book genre?
If you don't know by now, then do you really know me at all? ;) (Hint, look to your right on this page and scroll up a bit if you don't see it right away.)

Do you prefer Coke or Pepsi? Or something completely different?
Iced tea! However, we got a Soda Stream and are addicted to that. The soda flavors that go with it are pretty good, especially the root beer.

My own questions
(Four of them were re-used, which I take as a compliment!)

Which TV show just needs to be cancelled already?
The Simpsons. I have a hard time believing anyone still watches this show and I don't know how they haven't completely run out of ideas.

What is your favorite 80s song?
"If You Leave" by OMD takes the top spot, but I really love soooo many songs!

What is something that never fails to make you laugh?
My favorite sitcoms (i.e. The Mindy Project and Modern Family) and inside jokes with my husband.

How long could you go without social media access?
Two or three days (at a time) at the most, and that's just when I'm completely offline for religious holidays (if they go right into Shabbat, it's three days altogether).

If you were to do a TED talk, what would it be about?
Book blogging, of course!

If you could give advice to someone who just graduated college and is ready for the real world, what would it be?
Life is not a race. Do what you feel works best for YOU and don't settle for someone or something, just because you feel pressure from others around you. There is no need to keep up with someone else's life.

What is something you do that you'd like to outsource?
Laundry. I feel like I'm constantly washing, drying, folding, sorting, etc. I sometimes help my kids put their laundry away, but mine tends to sit in a basket until our cleaning service does their monthly visit.

My basket is overflowing!

3 comments:

Samantha said...

Omgosh yes! Blogging isn't a competition. People get so ridiculous over this. And worry about numbers. I'm like whatever! This is fun to me. I could care less if anyone doesn't want to follow me. lol.
And yay for cookie dough ice cream!

Janine said...

I think this is my all time favorite blog post that you have done. Thanks for sharing. We have many things in common. I love October and could live on ice cream too. I loved Come Away With Me and it made me cry too. Thanks again for the recommendation. I also appreciate all the advice you gave me on creating my own blog. The last house decoration I bought was a new futon mattress and some new decorative pillows (which haven't arrived yet). They have are Hawaiian print flowers and one Rooster which says Kauai on it (my favorite place in the world). I will have If You Leave" by OMD going through my head all day after reading this post. I'm glad you picked a cool song for my daily ear worm.

AiringMyLaundry said...

She's Come Undone is a great book! I also loved it.