Wednesday, October 16, 2013

52 Stories: This is *really* 40

Inspired by One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern, I've decided to ask people some thought provoking questions about themselves, as I feel that everyone has a story to tell. If you're just joining me on this journey today, please check out the previous posts from this series, as well.

One of the many joys of owning a book blog is connecting with authors I might not have met otherwise. One of these authors is today's storyteller. I met her back in May of 2012, when her debut novel, Finding Lucas, first became published. We soon found ourselves talking about anything and everything. She's so kind-hearted and down-to-earth. I didn't review her book for my blog because I knew I'd come off as biased, as I adored her too much by the time I would have the opportunity to read it. So I held off on even reading it for a while, putting focus on books I intended to review for my blog. Then I decided to finally check out her novel for the fun of it. I still think of it and laugh because it is so clever and funny. I'd love it even if we weren't friends and I'd have no problem giving constructive criticism if I found flaws. However, it is flawless. If you're looking for a fun, humorous and sweet chick lit novel, look no further than Finding Lucas. While she's not writing novels, our storyteller still has other stories to share, which is why I invited her to participate in this project!

Name you'd like to go by: Samantha Stroh Bailey
Age: 40 (gulp)
Gender: Female
Location: Toronto

What is an experience that is legendary for you?
The day I published my first novel, Finding Lucas, is something I will never forget. I have been writing since I was ten years old, and though a published journalist, my greatest dream was to see my novel online and in paperback. I must admit I shed more than a few tears because how often do we get to experience the dream of a lifetime actually happen? And it not only taught me that we have to believe in our talent and go after what we want, but also that this dream has only begun. I have always loved writing, but knowing that readers have loved my book and have been so kind as to leave reviews and reach out to me has made writing even more of a passion. I am so lucky.

What is your guilty pleasure?
Chips and TV, preferably eating chips while watching TV.

What is something you've never done but you would like to do?
I have a lot of fear when it comes to dangerous activities so there are a lot of things I’ve never done. But something I love is traveling. I saw quite a bit of the world in my younger years, and that is definitely a plan I have for in the future. This is terrible, but I’ve never seen Western Canada. The cost is quite high to fly there so I’ve always spent that money on going to Europe instead. But is such a gorgeous part of our country, and I would love to experience it.

If you could give someone one of your favorite things as a gift, what would it be and why?
One of my favorite things is books so I would absolutely give a book. Reading is such a wonderful escape, an opportunity to learn and grow and often gives us exactly what we are looking for at any given time. And there are so, so many books I’ve read that have stayed with me years later. Those are the ones I would give as a gift.

What is something you did that changed someone's life?
Wow, that’s a hard question. I don’t know that I’ve ever changed someone’s life, but on a small scale, I think my business helps a lot of people. I’m a professional writer/editor and every day, I get to work with the most incredible clients. I never write academic papers, but I edit them and love that aspect of my job so much. Helping someone get into their dream Masters program by editing their personal statement or working with them on their PhD dissertation is wonderful. A lot of people are scared to write and need the confidence to know they can and to find out what they need to do to improve. Knowing how amazing it is to publish a book, some of my favorite clients are aspiring and published authors. I get enormous pleasure from editing manuscripts and love when I see the finished product. So, I guess helping people make their dreams come true is changing their lives in some way. But it also changes mine.

What part of your personality is now extinct?
Shyness! People are amazed that I was very shy when I was younger because I am now usually the most talkative person in a room. I’ve always been very small, and when I was little, I wanted to hide in the shadows rather than shine. But, as I got older, I realized that though I am small, I am mighty, and it gave me confidence to put myself out there.

What is one thing that you find really funny?
I like irreverent, smart humor. A movie like, This is 40, makes me howl. Or books that don’t shy away from spicy language and flawed characters.

Tell me one thing you love about yourself (or a gift you'd like to get yourself, where money is not an issue):
I love that I enjoy simple pleasures and am very positive. I think life is so short and it’s about following your passion, filling your life with good, kind people and enjoying the small things. Money keeps us going, for sure, but for me, joy comes from a great conversation, laughter and being with the people I love. I love this about myself because I don’t need a lot to make me happy.

What TV show, book or movie is most like your life?
I’m going to date myself here and say Friends. Now, I don’t live in New York City or hang around in coffee shops, but I have a very close group of friends, and we have known each other for almost twenty years. We met in Montreal, and at one point, many of us lived in the same duplex on St. Urbain. Not together, but that place had a revolving door. Life has changed a lot in the past twenty years: we have kids, we live in different cities and we’re all so busy. But when we see each other, it’s like no time has passed, and we’re back to being those fresh-faced (yet drunk) 20 year-olds who had their whole lives ahead of them.

What is something that not many people know about you?
I was a competitive dancer for many years when I was younger and actually thought I’d end up at Juilliard. But, when my friends and fun seemed better than constant practices, rehearsals and shows, I quit. To this day, I regret not going on with my dancing because I loved it so much. But, I now get my groove on when my friends and I go dancing (on a rare Saturday night), and one day, I want to take hip hop classes so I can actually do that twerking thing that everyone is talking about.

4 comments:

Samantha Stroh Bailey said...

Melissa, having you in my life is amazing. I am so touched (and teary) that you loved Finding Lucas so much. Thank you for inviting me to share in this wonderful blog!

Meredith said...

Great interview - even though I feel as if I already know you so well, I actually learned a few new things. You are one in a million, Sam, and I wish I could pop you into my handbag and hang out all the time!

Samantha Stroh Bailey said...

Oh, Meredith, I love you. And I actually get to hang out with you soon for BookBuzz Toronto! Can't wait!

Jackie Bouchard said...

Great interview! (Hard questions!) Sam's the best. Didn't know about the competitive dancing thing! Wow. Very cool that you said goodbye to shyness!